2007-04-04

Use Chinese in Cygwin

How to use Chinese in Cygwin. I have been using Cygwin for years. Recently, I don't know why, but I am tired and sick of using Outlook. (The IT department of my company recommends using Outlook, though) So I turn back to embrace Pine/Fetchmail. The feature of auto-archiving by month is one of my favorites.

I am a Taiwanese. My mother tongue is Mandarin. I need to enter Chinese words in Cygwin/Pine. Although, the Cygwin console does support Chinese as long as you turn the "meta" settings on in your .inputrc file. This is not good enough I guess. I feel inconvenient when it doesn't delete or move the cursor over the whole multi-char as you hit delete, backspace, or arrow keys. And, the input method is lousy in console mode. After googling on the Internet, I found a satisfactory (at least, :) to me ) way, use rxvt. Rxvt is a wonderful application that it doesn't require you to run X before using it. So here is what I do:

1. Modify Cygwin.bat as follows, and then save it.


@echo off
C:
chdir C:\cygwin\bin
rxvt -fm "細明體-16" -fn "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono-16" -sb -sr -mcc -sl 1024 -km big5 -e bash --login -i

2. This way, you can use the native input method in Windows XP, not the lousy input method in console mode.

沒有留言:

張貼留言